María Fernández Ortiz
Atelier Burg Engelsdorf
Born Ortiz Lizarralde
Sculptor / Painter
- 1954 born in Santiago de Chile.1970-74 studied art at the Art Academy of the University of Chile.
- 1974-76 Further education at the Art Academy of Maryland University, USA.
- 1976-78 sculpture works (bronze and stone) Assistant to Prof. Juan Egenau at the Art Academy.
- 1978 She marries the sculptor Juan E. Fernandez Cox 3 children: Victoria, Ignacio, Angélica.
- Since 1978 Resident and artistically active in Germany. Castle Engelsdorf in Aldenhoven-Engelsdorf Further studies of art history in Germany and Italy.
- Since 1986 member of the Künstler-Union-Köln (KUK). Germany.
- 1987 Visit and exchange with Eduardo Chillida in Basque Country Spain
- Since 1991 member of the Bundesverband Bildender Künstler. Germany.
Exhibitions and artistic activities
- 1973 Exhibition “Three young artists” in Instituto Cultural Santiago de Chile.
- 1974 Exhibition at the Museo Arte Contemporáneo, Santiago de Chile.
- 1974-76 Stay and work in her Sculptor and Painting studio in Maryland Washington D.C. UNITED STATES.
- 1975 Solo exhibition in the BID-Gallery Washington, USA. 1976 Exhibition in Galería Imagen, Santiago, Chile
- 1977 Exhibition “GRAFICA” at the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Santiago, Chile
- 1978 The Cultural Department of the European States buys a graphic collection of the artist in Chile, which is then exhibited in various European museums and galleries.
- Since 1978 atelier in Germany. 1980 marble sculptures cultivation in Carrara, Italy.
- 1978-86 realization of various artworks for Germany, England, Holland, Portugal.
- 1986 Exhibition with the artist union Cologne, Germany
- 1987 Exhibition “PROJECT KUNST 87” in Erftstadt, Germany.
- 1988 Exhibition in Schönborn Castle near Vienna, Austria. 1990-92 Prize in the artist competition of the artist union Cologne and realization of a Altar room project for the Archdiocese of Cologne, Germany
- 1992 Exhibition “Albertus Magnus”, Cologne, Germany.
- 1992-94 Realization of a chapel in the Vatican. Duomo, Italy.
- 1994 Realization of the 6m high sculpture in bronze on the market square in Lechenich, Germany.
- 1995 First prize in the competition for the fountain with Marian column on the church square in the City Jülich. Bronze column about 7 m high. Germany.
- 1996 Realization Marienkapelle in Kreuzweingarten, Germany. Fresco and bronze work in the entrance of the Protestant hospital in Mettmann. Concept and design of the chapel in the hospital in Mettmann, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- 1997 New tabernacle and Easter chandelier in the church of St. Jacob. Hilden, Germany.
- 1997-2005 Design of the monumental panel and chancel of the God-Father Church in Buenos Aires.
- 1999-2001 Concept and realization of the artistic design of the chapel of the Maltese Center in Ehreshoven near Cologne, Germany.
- 2001 First prize and realization of the new St. Suitbertus procession shrine in Düsseldorf- Kaiserswerth, Germany.
- 2001-02 Sculpture for the German Cancer Aid Award. Berlin, Germany. 2002 Way of the Cross – bronze relief – for the new Apostolic Nunciature in Berlin, Germany.
- 2002-04 New design of the sanctuary in the Propsteikirche in Jülich. Germany. 2003-04 Working on new projects in the Düsseldorf area, Germany.
- 2004 Design / realization of the chapel Schloss Rehde, Germany.
- 2006 Altar room design and renovation concept of the St. Pankratius chapel in Ossum, Germany.
- 2006-07 Altar arrangement Sankt Martin in Düsseldorf-Bilk, Germany.
- 2007-08 Realization of the bronze figure of St. Maternus for the church St. Maternus ,. Breberen, Germany.
- 2007-08 6m high monument pillar for displaced persons in Kleinostheim near Aschaffenburg. Germany. Realization of a fountain and figure of Blessed Gerhard for the Maltese Coming in Ehreshoven, Germany.
- 2008-09 Altar design and realization of the bronze cross way. St. Ursula church in Santiago de Chile
- 2009 Exhibition in the cathedral Notre Dame de Brebieres. City of Albert. France
- 2009-10 Implementation of the Radleuchter in the sanctuary of the Propsteikirche in Jülich. Germany.
- 2010 Realization of a stele for the Ketteler School in Kleinostheim (Bavaria), Germany.
- 2011-14 Planning and realization of the overall artistic design at the international MAGDALACENTER in Israel.
- 2011-12 First prize and sculptural execution of the new baptistery of the Romanesque church St. Pantaleon in Cologne. Germany.
- 2012 Currently working on a new concept for the Lantz Chapel of the city of Düsseldorf-Lohausen, Germany.
- 2012 Steel sculpture 6m high and fresco painting for Evangelical Hospital Mettmann, Germany.
- 2012-13 Realization of the new altar room with panel painting for the chapel in the house Regina by the Institute of the Women of Schoenstatt-Vallendar. Germany. Realization of the new altar and ambo for the church of St. Martinus – Barmen. Juelich, Germany.
- 2013 commission for a figure of Mary 2.30 m high in oak wood and barrel painting for the Ursuline Church in Santiago de Chile.
- 2013 Design of the Federal Home in Schoenstatt-Vallendar.
- 2014 Realization of a panel painting for the Malteser Center in Bad-Brückenau. Bavaria. Germany.
- 2014 Planning and realization of various works of art in the church “Duc in Altum”: Barca-Alta r / mosaics / frescoes / design of the pews / design of the crypt / design of the fountain and pillars of the atrium. Inauguration of the first section of the Magdala Center in Israel and blessing of the Tabernacle by Pope Francis in Jerusalem. Israel.
- 2014 Planning and realization of the grave with stone and bronze for Mr. Stephan Georg Schmidt in Kaarst, Germany.
- 2015 Project planning for the design of the Marienkapelle in Offenbach Diocese Mainz, Germany.
- 2015 Realization of a bronze figure for St. John, England.
- 2015-16 Project planning for the design of a pietà for the meditation and prayer chapel of the Communio in Christo, Mechernich, Germany.
- 2015-16 Planning and design of the sanctuary of St. Francis Church in Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- 2017-18 Artistic design of the chapel in the ACN center Königstein, Germany. Design and realization in bronze and stone of the tomb of Mr. Walter Spiess. Düsseldorf, Germany.
- 2018-19 Planning and realization of the project “FUENTE AGUA VIVA” and MOSAIK GALILEA for the MAGDALACENTER, Israel.
Since 1974, more than 1,000 works of art were acquired for private and public collections.